Monday 10 August 2015

My First Red Velvet Cake!

An attempt to a red velvet cake needs some confidence in baking. I am definitely not that confident in baking and I always believe that I've so many things to learn and practice. So, I was not at all sure whether this project will come out successful or not. Actually, I kept this one pending for quite a long time. As I have mentioned many times in my blog, that my daughters are my best source of inspiration. They would always encourage me to take the next plunge in my life - no matter whether it's the baking project or something more serious decision. So this time also, the same situation occurred. They just pushed me into baking a red velvet cake and I made it! Although the process is little elaborate and you will need a variety of ingredients - but the red velvetty texture of the cake and the melting-in-mouth taste will make your job less painful and you will be in heaven at your first bite of the cake. The appreciation you get, once you present it on the dining table - is absolutely priceless.



Baking a red velvet cake, also requires a special occasion - and this time it was my 19th marriage anniversary. The red velvet cake is perfect for any romantic occasion - it can be a Valentine's day or a special date or baking for the first time for your better half and there are many more. So, for your next such memorable occasion, make your mind and just get into it. I am sure, it will be a success - if you have love and respect in your heart for the person, who has decided to be beside you in your thick and thin!

You will find millions of red velvet cake recipes in net - it is really difficult to decide on one. The recipe I followed, is from www.joyofbaking.com. You can find their red velvet cake recipe here - http://www.joyofbaking.com/RedVelvetCake.html. I did follow the cake recipe but not the frosting recipe. I wanted to make it more classic, so selected the frosting recipe for Ermine Icing from NY Times. Click here for the frosting recipe - http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016330-ermine-icing.

However, I have made few changes according to my stock of ingredients, so you can follow my recipe as well.

Dry ingredients -
Flour or Maida - 2 1/2 cups
Cocoa Powder - 2 tablespoons
Regular Sugar (granulated) - 1 1/2 cups
Baking Soda - 1 teaspoon

Wet ingredients -
Salted Butter - 1/2 cup, at room temperature (I've used Amul butter)
Eggs - 2 large
Vanilla Essence - 1 teaspoon
Butter Milk - 1 cup (I've used Amul butter milk)
Plain Vinegar - 1 teaspoon
Red Food Color (gel) - 1 tablespoon (use 2 tablespoons, if you have liquid color)

Set your oven at pre-heat mode at 180C. Prepare two 9" cake pans, grease and dust them properly and set aside.

Step 1: Take a big bowl, to sift in flour and cocoa powder. Mix well and keep it aside.

Step 2: In another big bowl, add the butter (at room temperature). Using the hand mixer, beat it for couple of minutes to make a whitish paste. Add sugar and keep on beating for another 5 minutes or so, until the mixture turns to be light and fluffy. Now, gradually add the eggs, one by one, and beat them to the mixture in between. The mixture will increase in volume.

Step 3: In a medium sized glass bowl, pour the butter milk and blend the red gel color into it evenly.

Step 4: Now alternately add the flour and the buttermilk in several batches to the egg mixture and beat well.

Step 5: In a small glass bowl, add the baking soda and pour in vinegar to it. The mixture will start to fizz out. Immediately fold this mixture into the batter.

Step 6: Quickly pour the batter in two prepared pan and place them in oven for baking at 180C for 25-30 minutes. (Note: Since I bake in microwave oven and I cannot bake two cakes at the same time, I've used here a trick. I've halved the quantity of baking soda and vinegar to mix in the first half of batter; placed the first pan in oven and once this one was done, I prepared the 2nd pan, in the same way.)

Step 7: Remove the cakes from pans and let it cool at room temperature. Cling wrap the cakes and keep it inside refrigerator for at least couple of hours.

This is one of the most classic icing recipes for red velvet cake, as per the website. Here I have kept the ingredients same and followed the process as mentioned in this page. 


You can also use the normal buttercream icing to fill and cover the red velvet cake.

Here are few more snaps of the gorgeous red velvet cake -






1 comment: